These questions are from bipolarsojourner
What are my successes and frustrations with ECT?
When I first started ECT, I did it for a while, probably about a year. I don’t remember it at all. But I decided to stop because I wasn’t sure if it was working or not. So I stopped for a while, about 6 months maybe. Then when I started back up I knew for certain that it was helping because it helped bring me out of a big depression. I now do ECT once every other week. It destroys my memory, but it helps my depression. I’m hoping that I can soon switch to doing a treatment once every four weeks. I honestly don’t remember much of anything. It even messes up my memories from before I started ECT, when I was a little kid. They said that is very unlikely, but it happened to me.
How does your husband support you? Is it effective?
My husband is very supportive. He was my best friend and knew all about my bipolar disorder before we started dating. He helps me recognize when I’m in an episode and helps me remember to take my medication. He’s very understanding when I’m not feeling up to doing something. For example, I had a hard time when our dog died this past April. He was ready to get a new dog before I was. He didn’t push me to get another dog, he let me wait until I was ready. My husband makes me feel safe and comfortable being myself, it is extremely effective.
What is your depression and mania like? Do you have benefits from your bipolar?
During my depressions, I always end up eating excessively and gaining weight. I tend to sleep a lot, I lose interest and often don’t care about things that I normally care about. I get angry easily and often feel worthless and suicidal. During my manic episodes, I generally go many days at a time without sleeping (my insomnia get really bad). I usually have racing thoughts, I get all jittery, I don’t make any sense, and I talk really fast (so much so that it sounds like I’m using drugs again, but I’m not). I also get suicidal during manic episodes. I used to self-harm during both depressive and main episodes, but it’s been many years since I’ve done that (although, to be honest, I think about it a lot). I prefer to be manic than depressed. At least when I’m manic I can get things done and I have the energy to workout. I can lose weight when I’m manic a lot easier, but when I’m depressed, I almost always gain weight.
Some days, I have a hard time coming up with topics to write about. I write about what’s going on in my mind, but some days, my mind is completely blank. That’s probably because of ECT.
I figured I would reach out to my readers. Is there anything that you would like me to write about? Do you have any questions for me? Or would you like to hear my point of view on any specific topics? I hope to hear from some of you.
I saw I Am My Own Island do this post by answering the fifty unique questions below. I enjoyed reading her answers and thought I would do my own.
- Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed?
- Do you take the shampoos and conditioner bottles from hotel?
- Do you sleep with your sheets tucked in or out?
- Have you ever stolen a street sign before?
- Do you like to use post-it notes?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
Not putting things away; I crave organization
- Do you ever count your steps when you walk?
My phone keeps track of my steps
- Is it okay for guys to wear pink as a color?
- Whats your least favorite movie?
I don’t remember
- What do you drink with dinner?
Soda or water
- What is your favorite food?
Almost any kind of pasta
- What movie could you watch over and over and still love?
The first one that comes to mind is Grease
- Would you ever strip or pose nude in a magazine?
Never, I’m way too self-conscious
- When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper?
Does writing a card count? If so, just a couple of days ago
- Favorite kind of sandwich?
Melted pepperoni and cheese
- Best thing to eat for breakfast?
Ham, egg, and cheese sandwich
- What is your usual bedtime?
Anywhere from 10pm to midnight
- Are you lazy?
For the most part, yes.
- How many languages can you speak?
- Do you sing in the shower?
- Is Christmas stressful?
- Occupations you wanted to be when you were a kid?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Wear slippers?
- Ever been in love?
- Who would you like to see in concert?
- Hot tea or cold tea?
- Tea or coffee?
- Ever had plastic surgery?
- Do you want to get married?
I am married; 3 years
- Do you want kids?
I can’t have kids, but I think about it often. I am a grandma (my step-daughter has a 15 month old beautiful daughter)
- Whats your favorite color?
- Do you miss anyone right now?
My mom, always
- Things you cannot leave the house without?
My phone and purse
- Do you drink energy drinks?
- Do you drink juice?
Sometimes apple juice
- Do you eat fries with a fork?
- Any phobias?
Snakes, spiders and bugs
- What is your middle name?
- What was favorite subject at school?
Math and science, it’s a tie
- What is your favorite drink?
- What is your favorite song at the moment?
The Joker by the Steve Miller Band
- What is the last thing you bought?
Groceries and prescriptions
- How many siblings do you have?
Two, an older brother and older sister
- When was the last time you cried?
- Favorite TV shows?
Criminal Minds, Blacklist, Good Behavior, Designated Survivor, New Girl, and Big Bang Theory
- PC or Mac?
- What phone do you have?
- How tall are you?
- Can you cook?
I love to cook and I’m pretty good at it. I make a really good Shepherds Pie, Chicken Tetrazzini, Pulled Pork, and many other things
If anyone wants to do this as well, just mention my blog so I can make sure to check it out.